Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Seize the moment - shoot the praying mantis !



This post is about  my last post so it could be called a meta post.  But my last post never happened so I am not sure......about anything. I created it as a note on my iPhone and while doing some final refinement ....poof it was gone. I googled the issue and went to the App Store and looked for a backup on the cloud. Needless to say it is still gone. 

Ironically the lost post was about time. Integrating it  with my current theme makes me wonder if I waited too long to post it. Or perhaps I didn't spend enough time backing it up,saving it to the cloud.  Was I too hasty in making my changes and thus the fatal error?

Recently In Arizona I noticed a praying mantis on the outside wall of our house just above the garage door. As most people these days, instead of savoring the moment, I ran for my phone to take a picture. Once inside I was distracted and forgot about the religious insect. The next morning I remembered the little green guy and went out with my phone. He was gone. I had missed my chance to get a photo, and also the chance to simply observe at close range this beautiful unique creature. The fact that we rarely see these alien-like life forms makes any sighting a special moment, one to be valued. 

So what is the lesson here, pertaining to time? As Patti Smith said, we must "seize the possibilities".  We must take advantage of the moment, now, because we don't know quickly it will be gone, or how many other times we will experience this unique opportunity. How purifying to live totally "in the now" with no thought of tomorrow's responsibilities or yesterday's mistakes, or even the next breath. 

Although these may be thoughts for the "high and lofty", I think slowing down and taking the time to understand the uniqueness of each moment and certain special occurrences, helps counteract the frenetic, random pace we often live at. Well gee, it looks like I am out of time, so I leave you with this: remember to seize every moment and possibility you can, recognizing the unique joy and lesson it provides. Now back to work, and don't miss that deadline !

Basil Update: the basil is now hibernating at the Arctic Circle , staying warm beneath the torsos of snoring polar bears. Sleep well my children. 

Keep the Faith !

2 comments:

k said...

Great post dad. Keep it up! Reminds me of "I can't remember all the times I tried to tell myself to hold on to these moments as they pass..." What song?!

mjr615 said...

aha, Long December ? Hey how come everyone knows when we are going to Home Depot ? Is it because we go every day ? :)